What is a Root Canal?
The pulp is the soft tissue located inside a tooth. It also contains nerves and blood vessels. When the pulp becomes inflamed or infected, it is time to see a dentist. You may develop infection in the pulp if your tooth is:
- Decayed or has a deep cavity, or a deep filling
If a root canal is not performed to address the infected pulp, the infection could possibly spread to other teeth, causing immense pain and swelling. In other instances, an individual may feel no pain from the infected pulp, but there could still be issues with the teeth later. Bacteria from the infection can possibly spread and damage the bone that supports the tooth in the jaw. Forgoing root canal therapy could eventually result in extraction.
Root Canal Therapy: The Treatment Process
Thanks to ground-breaking procedures, modern technology, and innovative techniques, gone are the days of painful root canal procedures. Contrary to popular belief, root canal therapy can be performed with little to no discomfort. Here are the general steps to the procedure:
- The area of the root canal therapy will be numbed. Your dentist will place a barrier over the tooth to keep it dry and free of saliva. Then, your dentist will create an opening at the top, or the crown of the tooth, to access the infected pulp.
- The infected pulp in your tooth is then removed from its chamber. Using tiny dental instruments, your dentist will also clean each root canal. Medicine may also be placed in the chamber to eliminate the infection.
- The root canals are filled with a sealant. Your doctor then fills the canals with a rubbery dental material called gutta percha, and the tooth is sealed to prevent recontamination.
- A dental crown may be placed. In many instances, a crown is required to reinforce the treated tooth and prevent future issues.
What Are the Benefits of Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy may have negative connotations, but Dr. Lane will ensure your comfort from the beginning of your procedure to the very end.
Receiving root canal therapy has many benefits. For example, this procedure:
- Provides relief for a toothache
- Can be completed in a relatively short amount of time
- Improves the appearance of a tooth
- Eliminates infection and improves overall oral health
Why Choose Lane Family Dental for Your Root Canal Therapy?
Dr. Lane understands the apprehension and angst that surround root canal treatments. That is why he makes it is top priority to help you feel as informed, comfortable, and relaxed as possible. Lane Family Dental provides sedation dentistry for those patients who are nervous and stressed about dental procedures. While we accept a host of dental insurances, we work with patients to help them afford all treatments. Lane Family Dental accepts CareCredit ® and other financing options, to help patients pay for treatments and services.
Contact Lane Family Dental Today
Keep your smile healthy at Lane Family Dental in Wasilla, AK. We provide complete root canal therapy services that remedy infected teeth. To find out more, or to schedule a consultation at our practice serving the greater Wasilla area, reach out to us online, or call us at (907) 373-2200.